- 50 g bubbly, active starter
- 300 g warm water
- 150 g wheat flour
- 350 g whole wheat flour
- 9 g salt
- 5 g sugar
- In a large bowl mix together starter, water and sugar. Add flour and salt. Knead the dough until it is smooth and shiny.
- Cover with cloth and let rise until it doubles in size. This should take from 6-8 hours. While rising, you should stretch and fold the dough every hour to add some structure and height to the dough.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, move it to an oily surface. Shape it into a round and let it rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle a proofing basket with some flour. Put the dough inside. Cover it with cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Take the bread out of the basket by turning it over a floured surface. Using the bread lame, score the dough with your favorite pattern. Bake for 50 minutes in the oven preheated to 230 degrees celsius on a baking stone or dutch oven . Transfer the bread to a wire rack and cool for 1 hour before slicing.
- Store the cooled bread in a bread bag at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, slice and freeze it in airtight bags for up to three months.